Mr. Joseph Nsangalufu
The Planning Unit originated with the reviewed organization structure as one of the major improvement measures contained in TIE Capability Review consultancy study which was undertaken by ENV Consul (T) Limited in 2008. In May, 2009 TIE Council approved the consultant’s findings and urged the Management to take heed and implement the recommendations in key areas which needed improvement, among which was the establishment of Planning Unit. The Unit was set up in 2010 under Director General’s Office to plan and monitor the developmental programmes of the Institute following this directive.
2 Profile of the Unit
The establishment of the Unit provides a Planning Manager as the head of the Unit with assistants. The Unit is at its infant stage and has two staff, the Manager who heads the Unit and one Officer. TIE Management is in the process of exploring some mechanism to build a core group of professional staff in the coming years through in-country and overseas training. In turn, these professionals will be directly responsible for the implementation of core functions of the Unit as listed in the following paragraph.
Functions of Planning Unit
1. To advise the Director General on all matters pertaining to corporate planning as well as implementation of the Institute’s development plans and programmes;
2. To compile and coordinate the Institute’s projects and programmes implementation - Compile action plans;
3. To design, develop and supervise work systems related to development plans;
4. To analyse development opportunities and to review internal policies, plans and programmes;
5. Distribute guidelines received from authorities on budget, project preparation etc
6. To develop strategies for resource mobilization and exploitation of available opportunities with a view to achieving sustainable development - Compile MTEF;
7. To review previous years budget performance;
8. To analyse and to harmonise the Institute’s plans with those of the ministry responsible for education;
9. To prepare periodic reports on implementation of corporate plans and programmes and to use such reports to create a reliable database for planning and development purposes;
10. To identify and to recommend development partnership with various local and foreign institutions;
11. To plan and to coordinate research on institutional development and recommend application of research based findings to corporate advantage;
12. To identify Institute’s budgetary implications on Government decisions and directives;
13. To provide technical expertise on strategic plan, action plan and client service charter preparation
14. To perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Director General.
1. Prepared BOQ for and supervised the partitioning of offices in the Administration Block at TIE Head Office;
2. Coordinated the preparation of TIE Five Year Corporate Strategic Plan of 2011 – 2016;
3. Compiled the 2012/13 – 2014/15 MTEF;
4. Edited the TIE Five Years’ Performance Review Report (2005 – 2010);
5. Coordinated the change of name of Title of Mikocheni B plot from Institute of Curriculum Development to Tanzania Institute of Education;
6. Coordinated the demarcation of TIE Mikocheni plot into five plots out of which two plots measuring 5,000 m2 each were leased to HESLB and VETA;
7. Coordinated the preparation of Lease Agreement for the development of TIE Mikocheni B plot between TIE, HESL and VETA; and
8. Coordinated the registration of Lease Agreement between TIE, HESL and VETA with the Registrar of Titles, Ministry of Lands and Settlement Development for the development of TIE Mikocheni B plot.
Ongoing and upcoming activities
1. Negotiation for Joint venture investment between TIE and LAPF/NHC for the development of Centre for Research and Consultancy (Conference and Offices) at TIE Head Office;
2. Feasibility Study and Preliminary Design of a Five Storey Commercial building on the common area and an Ultra Modern 10 Storey building on the remaining portion of TIE Mikocheni Plot for education development use; and
3. Office rehabilitation needs assessment.
For all issues concerning planning unit please contact
The Planning Manager
Tanzania Institute of Education
P. O. Box 35094
Telephone: Office: +255-22-2773005
Mobile: +255-71-4888996; +255-76-6888996